Okay, guys – short post today! Because it’s Friday and it’s my birthday weekend! Woooooooooooooo!!!
Sorry. I had a “Woo Girl” moment. I’m better now.
Raise your hand if you’re tired of the same old exercise? Me too! But you already knew that, I bet. So I’m here telling you spice it up a little! Go for the unusual, the unique, the unheard-of (I needed another “u” word). Here are my suggestions for outside-the-box workouts to torch calories while having fun!
- Take a Class. Check out your local community center, a nearby gym, or just ask around. I’ll bet you can find inexpensive drop-in classes in everything from Belly-dancing to yoga.
- Go on an adventure. Looks up local bike or walking paths. Sure, walking around your neighborhood would get boring after a couple laps. But adventuring down a park path or alongside a bay? Awesome!
- Check out Groupon. These days, Groupon has a coupon for everything under the sun. This includes fun workouts! I’ve seen Groupons for upright paddle-boarding, kayaking, and kickboxing. I’ve even used the kickboxing one! This could be an inexpensive way to broaden your horizons.
- Rock-climbing. Believe it or not, just about anybody can do this! Rock-climbing gyms are equipped to help people of all experience levels climb. And good gravy is it a workout! This is a little pricier of an option – usually around $30 per person – but it is great fun.
- Join a Challenge. They have all sorts of “challenges” these days. You can join a group training for half-marathons/marathons…you could join a weight-loss challenge…you could join a gainer’s challenge (where one competes in putting on muscle mass)…just about anything can be turned into a challenge. And if you have even the tiniest bit of a competitive streak, a challenge will be great fun and motivation for you.
- Go dancing! You can go grind, gallop, or waltz. Whatever floats your boat. But I guarantee there is something for everyone (who remotely likes dancing). In Seattle, we have Century Ballroom, where my boyfriend and I can go Salsa or Swing the night away for $10 or less per person. In fact, that’s the first thing on birthday-weekend agenda tonight!
Now. Go forth and MOVE!!
(And stay tuned for a post next week all about why we should all enjoy our birthday cakes…)